Encyclopedia of Literature and Criticism (Routledge Companion Encyclopedias) 1st Edition
This Encyclopedia is the most comprehensive guide yet both to the nature and content of literature, and to literary criticism. In ninety essays by leading international critics and scholars, the volume covers both traditional topics such as literature and history, poetry, drama and the novel, and also newer topics such as the production and reception of literature. Current critical ideas are clearly and provocatively discussed, while the volume’s arrangement reflects in a dynamic way the rich diversity of contemporary thinking about literature.
Each essay seeks to provide the reader with a clear sense of the full significance of its subject as well as guidance on further reading.
An essential work of reference, The Encyclopedia of Literature and Criticism is a stimulating guide to the central preoccupations of contemporary critical thinking about literature.
* Clearly written by scholars and critics of international standing for readers at all levels in many disciplines
* In-depth essays covering all aspects, traditional and new, of literary studies past and present
* Useful cross-references within the text, with full bibliographical references and suggestions for further reading
* Single index of authors, terms, topics
`Censorship, aestheticism, African literature, and current developments in criticism. All this and more is in Routledge’s stimulating Encyclopedia … It is primarily an accessible review of critics’ approaches to the study of literature, past and present. Essays by 90 hands discuss the many different ways of evaluating literature. This guarantees a certain amount of ferment in the reader. No sooner is one persuaded that one approach is valuable when the next essay presents an attractive alternative.’ – Library Association Record
`The stimulating essays, which exhibit and criticize literature, have many powerful features.’ – Review of English Studies
- Author(s): Martin Coyle, Peter Garside, Malcolm Kelsall, Dr John Peck, John Peck
- Hardcover : 1320 pages
- ISBN-10 : 0415020654
- ISBN-13 : 978-0415020657
- Publisher : Routledge; 1st Edition (December 17, 1993)
- Language: : English